The town of Clear Spring, located about 18 miles east of the town of Hancock, will be celebrating its 200th Anniversary this Saturday, October 16. Several activities are planned to commemorate this milestone including a Passport to Clear Spring, Landmark Hunt of Clear Spring, tours of historical buildings including Brown’s Meeting House, the 1823 Post Office, and Plumb Grove, with a grand finale of fireworks. Several 19th century artisans will be demonstrating their talents at Plumb Grove, Hancock Lions Club will be selling freshly pressed apple, a local group, The Howlers, will be performing from 2-5pm and there will be self-guided tours of the 1831 house.
The History of Clear Spring
The founding of Clear Spring can be traced to the Nesbitt family deeding a tract of Land to Jacob Myer. He later divided his land with his children. One child was his son, Martin Myers.
Around 1820, the National Road arrived, splitting the Martin Myers property in half. Myers realized that thousands of pioneers would be travelling this new modern roadway to the wild west of Ohio. He divided his land into building lots, and in 1821, the town of Myersville began. Daniel Brewer opened the first hotel in the town in the lot just east of a spring and named it the Clear Spring Tavern because it was located next to a clear spring.
Back in those days the name tavern usually meant it was a place to buy a meal and overnight lodging was usually offered. The tavern also had to supply a place for the horses to rest as well as feed and hay for them.
The tavern’s business flourished for innkeeper Brewer. And before long, people were saying they stayed at the hotel at Clear Spring. The rest is history!
The CSDHA’s website, https://historyofclearspring.wixsite.com/csdha, has more information about the Passport to Clear Spring and the Landmark Hunt.