Mobile home destroyed by fire on Easter Sunday


A mobile home off of Barnes Hollow near Posey Hollow Road in southeastern Morgan County was destroyed by fire on Easter Sunday.

The call was reported at 5:51 p.m. and South Morgan Volunteer Fire Department was the first on the scene.

“It was a total loss,” said Fire Chief Mark Miller.

He said one male resident lived in the mobile home, but he was not at home. He was at his daughter’s residence that was close by and he saw his home on fire.

Miller said the state fire marshal was notified on Monday.

“We suspect the fire was due to the wood stove,” Miller said.

The fire was under control in one and a half hours, but the fire department did not return to the station in South Morgan until after 10 p.m. Sunday night.

Miller said the mobile home had additions with metal roofs and it took more time to make sure everything was out.

In addition to the South Morgan Fire Department, fire companies from Berkeley Springs, Great Cacapon, Reynolds Store Va., Hancock, Md. and Back Creek in Berkeley County responded to the structure fire.

The Hedgesville Fire Company stayed at the South Morgan station to cover incoming calls for them, Miller said.

The Maryland Air Unit and its Rehab Unit from Washington County also responded, along with the Morgan County Rescue Unit that notified the American Red Cross of the homeowner’s loss.