Canal Association marks anniversary of Douglas hike that drew support for C&O Canal

by Geoff Fox In 1938, officials in the US government bought the right of way of the 184.5-mile long C&O Canal, which at that time had been sitting dormant for 14 years. While the first 22 miles of the canal had been repaired and re-watered, the beginning of World War II brought restrictions that would . . .