2017-11-15 / Front Page

Home saved from attic fire

by Kate Evans

Area firefighters contained an attic fire last Friday afternoon from moving through a two-story home in the 12000 block of Winchester Grade Road in southern Morgan County.

The call came to the Morgan County 911 Dispatch Center at 1:34 p.m. on November 10 for a house fire, said Gainesboro Volunteer Fire Company Assistant Chief Dan Sova, who was the first officer on the scene. Reynold’s Store Volunteer Fire Company arrived first, saw smoke coming out of the eaves in the attic and advised 911 Dispatch that there was a working fire.

Sova got there next and took command of the scene. He said they found one side of the attic was on fire inside. The fire was contained to the attic near the chimney and didn’t go through to the roof. There was minor damage to the home.

Sova said that units from Frederick and Morgan counties were able to bring the fire under control very quickly within 10 minutes of arrival. He said no one was home at the time of the fire. Luckily a passerby noticed the smoke and called 911.

Sova said the suspected cause of the fire was from the wood stove chimney, but the cause would be determined by the state fire marshal. He noted that it was a very windy day, there was a fire in the wood stove and the embers were blowing back down on the residence.

Units from Gainesboro, Reynolds Store, South Morgan and Berkeley Springs Volunteer Fire Companies responded to the scene. Tanker units from other volunteer fire companies including Great Cacapon, Orleans and Fulton and Berkeley counties were also dispatched, but were placed in service before they arrived since the fire was out so quickly, Sova said.

Units were on the scene for around an hour and a half. There were no injuries to firefighters.

Return to top