by Geoff Fox
For 11 years, decorated barges were pulled down the C&O Canal from Church Street to Pennsylvania Avenue as part of the annual Barge Bash presented by the Hancock Arts Council. However, after declining interest, officials docked the event in 2014.
Now, after five years of being in dry dock, Main Street Hancock will be bringing Barge Bash back on June 20.
During the November town meeting, in giving an update on Main Street Hancock, Thomas Taylor told town officials the Barge Bash had been voted on to be revived.
Taylor also noted the Hancock Arts Council had also agreed to revive it as well.
“We’ve also extended the invitation out to any group that wants to join us,” Taylor said.
Taylor also noted there is going to be a need for “a lot of help” to get the new Barge Bash running.
In 2014, organizers said there was a lack of participants and spectators as one of the deciding factors in ending the Barge Bash.
In the original Barge Bash, there was an event high of 13 entrants in 2009, however participation dipped to only nine in 2013, the final year the event was held.