Fire reported at Hancock museum, visitor’s center

Area fire companies responded to a fire at the Hancock museum and visitor’s center on Main Street around 10 a.m. on Friday, July 19 in response to a fire call from a museum volunteer.

John Cohill, a volunteer at the facility, told The Hancock News that he arrived at the large storefront around 9:50 a.m. and saw one of the fluorescent lights in a hallway dripping what he described as “molten plastic.” He said the light was away from the center’s main exhibits.

photo by Geoff Fox

Cohill said he got out of the building and called 911.

Fire companies from Hancock, Great Cacapon, Berkeley Springs, Orleans and Needmore were on the scene, along with rescue units from Morgan County and Hancock. Main Street was shut down to allow fire units to operate in the area.

Firefighters were checking the upstairs of the building to find the source of the fire. Dark smoke was seen coming out of a front entrance to the building.

 

Leave a Comment