Faulty smoke alarm to blame for fire call at middle school

by KATE EVANS

Warm Springs Middle School students and staff were evacuated from the school for around 45 minutes this afternoon after a faulty smoke alarm went off in the ceiling tile between the walls of the band room and the faculty room, said middle school Principal Gene Brock. The alarm was tripped at 12:48 p.m. but there was no smoke seen, he said. Tuesday was the second day of the new school year.

School maintenance workers and area volunteer firefighters checked out the scene thoroughly before everyone was allowed to return inside, Brock said. There were no injuries.

“Practicing all the drills really makes a difference. Kids were very well-behaved and patient during the evacuation,” Brock said.

Brock said school officials were sending an automated phone message to parents to let them know what had happened with the fire call.

Units from Berkeley Springs, Hancock and South Morgan Volunteer Fire Companies responded to the call. Units left the scene around 1:38 p.m.

 

 

Leave a Comment