Bob Hawvermale brought us one of those lists of ten "truths of life" a few months before he died in February. We've looked at it several times since and decided to share it with you.
Each of the ten ideas calls on people to do the right thing, even if they are criticized or in the minority. We can see Bob's spirit in many of them.
1. People are illogical, unreasonable and self-centered. Love them anyway.
2. If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives. Do good anyway.
3. If you are successful, you win false friends and true enemies. Succeed anyway.
4. The good you do today will be forgotten tomorrow. Do good anyway.
5. Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable. Be honest and frank anyway.
6. The biggest men with the biggest ideas can be shot down by the smallest men with the smallest minds. Think big anyway.
7. People favor underdogs, but follow only top dogs. Fight for a few underdogs anyway.
8. What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight. Build anyway.
9. People really need help, but may attack you if you help them. Help people anyway.
10. Give the world the best you have and you'll often get kicked in the teeth. Give the world the best you have anyway.
In other words, stand up, show some courage and do something. Your life will be a lot richer for it.