70th anniversary of Women
The Berkeley Springs Womens Club will celebrate the club's 70th anniversary this Saturday, November 10, from 2-4 p.m. at the First United Methodist Church Hall, located at 49 S. Green Street, Berkeley Springs. Refreshments will be served and the club welcomes new members. Organized in 1937, the Berkeley Springs Women's Club has been dedicated to serving many local community organizations including the library and the American Red Cross. The club has been actively involved in promoting adult literacy, cancer awareness, domestic violence awareness, and donating to charities.
The public is welcome to the celebration.
The Berkeley Springs Womens Club is part of the General Federation of Womens Clubs, one of the worlds largest and oldest nonpartisan, nondenominational, women's volunteer service organizations. Founded in 1890 and headquartered in Washington, D.C., GFWC has a long history of philanthropy, social and political advocacy, and community leadership.
More than 100,000 members in affiliated clubs in every state and more than a dozen countries work in their own communities to support the arts, preserve natural resources, advance education, promote healthy lifestyles, encourage civic involvement, and work toward world peace and understanding. In 2006, GFWC and its members raised nearly $32 million on behalf of more than 230,000 projects, and volunteered more than 8.4 million hours.
For additional information about this event or membership, contact Anna Shearer at 258-3633.