Four airlifted after explosion
Four people were airlifted to hospitals following an apparent propane stove explosion yesterday at the STS International testing facility off of Winchester Grade Road, near South Morgan Fire Department.
Two STS employees were seriously burned from the explosion, and two others were burned, but did not appear to be as badly injured, said Sheriff Ronald McIntire as he left the scene around noon.
Neither the sheriff nor the company immediately released the names of the injured. Mike Aldridge of STS said the company would release a statement later, but it had not been received when The Morgan Messenger went to press on Tuesday afternoon.
The sheriff said the explosion is believed to have taken place when an employee was lighting a propone stove in the building around 10:30 a.m. on Tuesday, July 24. The building was not structurally damaged in the flash fire.
Helicopters landed in the field near the building and took the injured employees to MedStar Burn Center in Washington, D.C.
The victims – two men and two women — were all conscious and talking when they were helicoptered off, said John Corson of the Morgan County Rescue Service.
Personnel from Morgan County Rescue provided medical care at the scene.
Firefighters responded from South Morgan Volunteer Fire Company, Berkeley Springs Volunteer Fire Company and Reynolds Store Volunteer Fire Company.
Area fire and rescue personnel and police were also responding to multiple accidents and fires on Tuesday morning at the same time as the explosion at STS.
Incidents included a vehicle fire on Martinsburg Road, a traffic accident on Fairview Drive, a multi-vehicle accident on Burnt Mill Road and an accident near Sleepy Creek.